One Phat Grrl

onephatgrrl@yahoo.com

Sunday, June 27, 2004

Once again, the Sunday free press

It's Sunday again. An who can guess where I'm at????? At my parents! That's right, it's Sunday and I'm at my mom and dads, looking at the paper and trying to find a j-o-b! Gotta love that enthusiasm!

Haven't gotten any paperwork on the whole appeal thing yet. I did find out however that it is kinda like going to court; there are witnesses that can be subpoenaed, discovery motions to file, cross examining and all that jazz. I told my friend Christopher that he should sit in the back of the room with a tape player that when anyone said anything shocking he could play tht "duh-duh" sound they play on Law and Order. You know the one I'm talking about. I only said that because this whole thing seems so insane, on another level like, who does this shit really happen to? Well, me.

I had quite an adventure yesterday....My sister frequents this place that has a blues jam every Thursday. Through this, she's met a gent by the name of Quinton, or Q as he likes to be called. Anyway, he is a hairdresser and wanted her to come on down to his shop (it's called BiBi's) and let him do her hair up right. So, we went yesterday--I needed a haircut too--and I had quite a time. Now, before I go in to this, you should know that I went to Cosmetology school years and years ago (10 to be exact). An having done that, I understand that there is more than a little bit of difference when working on white folks hair verses black folks hair. Well...Q, being of African American decent, had not done much work on white folks hair. It was fun, he had a time. I'd be willing to be that my sister and I were probably two of maybe 5 white folks he'd ever done. The best part about it all is that around 12, he came out and said they were having their daily devotional and we could join if we wanted. We listened...well, I listened, I am a quiet person, Marianne on the other hand jumped right in there and had church with them. They stop each day at noon and thank God and Jesus and have prayer and have a bible verse then talk about it. I thought it was kinda neat. What really got me was that the message for that day was two things--first that God hears all prayers and that you shouldn't ask him for signs...he doesn't work that way. An that the Devil can give you signs too--that are to lead you in the wrong direction. The other part was that he is listening and he answers prayers--in his time, not ours. I thought that was particularly poignant due to my crisis of faith at this particular time and all...

So, I took that as a "sign", even if I'm not supposed to..lol...and I'll be as patient as I can for as long as I can.

An btw....my hair looks good :)